Creative Adrenaline


One of the hardest things about being creative for a living is moving steadily (or at a million miles an hour!) forward daily instead of waiting for a stroke of inspiration to hit you. Sometimes in the middle of a project you just get that creative adrenaline rush and for me it reminds me of racing (when I used to swim in high school and college). You feel so strong and filled with energy. But most days aren't like that which is why I try to arm myself with a toolbox of font, illustration, color, and style elements that represent the MaeMae brand. I also am always collecting images - on my phone, on my computer, and all over my studio walls. Last Friday I had one of those creative adrenaline rushes and was hurriedly grabbing a bunch of inspiration off my walls and flipping through the four (yes - four) notebooks I am currently taking notes in to start designing some of my social stationery collections. The above images are from various magazines, newspapers, and books and are hanging on my three bulletin boards, and my walls. It's so funny to me how amongst all the things I have up that these images are so cohesive and perfectly represent the mood of what I am working on. Can't wait to share the final product in September! Have a beautiful weekend!

xx,
Mae

Anonymous –   – (June 17, 2011 at 6:46 AM)  

you are so right about not being inspired sometimes, I'm in a slump right now....the reason I've got time to read the blogs I love! ...two sided coin I suppose : )

Ashley  – (June 17, 2011 at 10:17 AM)  

Exactly what I needed to hear today.... I'm totally stumped on a three year old's birthday party card (should be easy right!) Time to get out all my inspiration magazines and notebooks!

Unknown  – (June 17, 2011 at 11:00 AM)  

I can't wait to see!! You are amaze face!

colleen  – (June 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM)  

I think this goes for all creatives -- some of us stay up all night hoping for those 10 minutes where everything clicks, where others are very disciplined and just work. But reading a couple pages from a favorite book can be the best start!

Cupcakes and Cutlery  – (June 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM)  

We have to wait until September!! Shoot! What a great idea about having a "brand" file to work from when not super inspired. A great way to see who you were, what you are and where you want to go via images.

Ann  – (June 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM)  

Love seeing your process - can't wait to see what you come up with.

Lauryl Lane  – (June 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM)  

LOVE. You inspire ME, so I guess that counts for something, right? xoxo

Iola Runtuwailan  – (June 18, 2011 at 8:24 AM)  

yeah, same story here! there are so many images on my computer and in notebooks that sometimes i get overwhelmed by the fact that i like so many different things! anyway, the image is really nice!

marysia reeves  – (June 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM)  

so fun and bright looking..can't wait to see everything! so happy you are blogging again:)
http://blog.marysiaswim.com/

Amber Moon  – (June 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM)  

You are always amazing. I love this. xo!

Post a Comment