Goppy Gow + Gumpa


When I was little I was always jealous of the other kids in class whose grandparents had normal names like, "grandma + grandpa." My brothers and I called our maternal grandparents by their Chinese titles: PoaPoa (grandma) and Gong Gong (grandpa). As a toddler my paternal grandma wanted me (the eldest grandchild) to call her "grandmother." That didn't really roll out easily of my two-year-old mouth and so I called my grandparents Goppy Gow (grandma) and Gumpa (grandpa). Made up words and phrases were kind of my thing. As I grew older I came to love the fact that they were uniquely mine through my renaming of them.

I lost Gumpa last Thanksgiving and yesterday my Goppy Gow passed away.

She was full of life, energy, and opinions. She always wore this stack of different sized and designed gold bangles on one arm and they would make so much noise whenever she would do anything. They are the perfect representation of her: unique, multifaceted, attention getting, and a little over the top. She was from Ireland and one of my favorite memories of her was when my dad got her to show me her Irish dancing (think Riverdance...) in her living room. Growing up she was some sort of celebrity in my world. She seemed so glamorous and knew all these little tidbits about how to do things right or politely that I never thought of.

Her personality and vivaciousness live on through my work today through my collection Muriel, named after her. I love you, Goppy Gow. Your memory, lessons, and style will always be such a part of me.

Lauryl Lane  – (September 13, 2010 at 10:40 AM)  

I'm so sorry for your loss, Megan! But what a beautiful memorial to your grandmother. Love and hugs.

Nemenem  – (September 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM)  

Megs. So sorry to hear about your grandma. Love that photo of the two of them. You have her smile. :)

HazelWea  – (September 13, 2010 at 11:19 AM)  

I'm so sorry for your loss! Love and prayers to you and your family. ♥hugs♥

Allison Hasel  – (September 13, 2010 at 2:58 PM)  

I'm sorry for your loss. Grandparents are such a wonderful gift that some of us don't get to enjoy for as long as we'd like. I admire both of my grandmothers immensely and miss them quite a bit still to this day.

misshoney  – (September 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM)  

so sorry for your loss mae:( praying for you sweet girl.

Truly Smitten  – (September 16, 2010 at 8:05 AM)  

Oh no...I'm so sorry for your loss =(. Praying for you and your family.

ali  – (September 17, 2010 at 11:18 AM)  

weird timing...my grandpa passed away today. i'll keep your family in my prayers next to mine.

Make, Do and Send  – (September 20, 2010 at 12:18 AM)  

What a beautiful photo...im so sorry to hear the sad news Megan :( I'm sending you big hugs from London, Alex xx

Jane (Olive Hue Paper Goods)  – (September 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM)  

Oh! I'm so sorry for your loss Megan! Such a gorgeous photo of your grandmother!

Amber Moon  – (October 5, 2010 at 7:39 PM)  

I'm so sorry Megan - what a beautiful woman, love, and inspiration! Sending love! Amber Moon!

Post a Comment